View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Kaneda8888

Hey AF

I am echoing the thoughts of the posters above but yes, I also think it was a sad and mean spirited act by your brother.

Unlike friends, its not easy to cut off your relations. There is that conventional sense of obligation to stay connected and supportive because they are your 'family'. When times are tough and your friends desert you, your family are meant to be the ones that will rally to your cause.

Theoretically.

I had always thought that with my siblings. However, after getting sober, I discovered, much to my dismay, that one of my siblings has a truly mean spirited heart. He only gets enjoyment out of the misery of others. The classic definition of schadenfreude. He actually goes out of his way to create scenarios for someone to experience misery. This includes our own mother. Initially, I despised him for this. However, I now understand that he must be truly suffering and miserable himself in order to do such things. So, I have compassion for him. However, that doesnt mean I need to have any contact with him. I will keep threads on him from my other sibling and mother but no direct contact.

So, I think I understand a little about how you're feeling. Its probably best that you dont take any action but simply ignore the package. Throw it away. If you respond, it means you're feeding your own emotion of anger and resentment. Let those emotions die. Move on and focus only on those folks that support you. Time is too short to focus on toxic folks irrespective of who they are.

Be strong AF !