Thread: The Beast Stirs
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 10:39 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
esinger

Originally Posted by SDH73 View Post
Glad to hear you're doing well, esinger. I am by no means a veteran at this getting sober business. When I signed up on this site a few months ago I knew absolutely nothing about how to get sober. It never occurred to me that I could just...not drink! I'm still figuring things out, but RR resonates with me. Did you just decide you were done and stop drinking, or did you work some sort of program?
Well lets just say I didn't have much of a choice. Things got really ugly and after an unsuccessful stint in the most wide spread program, I went to rehab. That led me back to the same program. The dogma and repetition made my brain hurt so much I couldn't take it any more. I realized that the bottom line is I just can't drink if I want to survive. A lot of my drinking was due to social anxiety and stress due to being over my head in my career. Long term self medication lead to a pretty bad physical addiction. I've changed my career path and have dealt with the anxiety through some counselling early on and some CBT methods I picked up from one of my counsellors. I'm by no means an expert on any of this. Seems like I have picked up a new addiction though, to reading and learning. Wish I had done that 35 years ago.
Stay on your path. Sounds like you've got a good plan.