Thread: Dui
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2015, 12:27 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
lighter

Originally Posted by hickdusty View Post
I threw the vodka bottle with my keys. Maintained I wrecked sober then drank for pain, cause I'm an alcoholic and didn't wanna go to hospital sober.
It's pretty dangerous to lie to the police. The punishment for lying to the police if caught would likely be much worse than a first time dui offense.

You may get off. But what then? Untreated alcoholism will result in a further dui which may kill a baby or other person. Or it will result in you losing you job, your family, your home, your life. The next time you drink you may choke to death on your own vomit. Friends of mine have died that way.

You haven't lost everything. Yet.

It's dangerous to lie to yourself. Every successful treatment plan for alcoholism I've seen involves telling the truth. Eventually, you can't get around the fact you did this crime and the police have noticed that. If you get off by lying they will remember. Eventually if you make another mistake you'll get caught. And the judge you lied to will remember, too.

Everything happens for a reason. Perhaps the reason for this DUI is to give you the opportunity to get the help you need to save yourself. Perhaps by lying you are harming yourself.

But this doesn't mean you should not hire a good lawyer. If you are honest you will have to face the consequences of your actions, but the lawyers purpose is to get the best honest result you can, trying to get the help that is available in the system for someone like you because destroying your life isn't really a good option either.