View Single Post
Old 05-31-2015, 12:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Hi Sansa. Well, working on the premise that nothing changes if nothing changes, and a good definition of insanity might be 'doing the same thing and expecting different results', it's just deciding what you can change about your day to day existence to make quitting the booze easier. There have been lots of threads about people's sobriety plans, so a search of this forum would be a good start.

sobriety plan - Search SoberRecovery.com

That way you can read through some of the threads and get some ideas. Everyone's journey is different though, and only you know the who / when / where / why of your drinking, and what can change to support yourself. This is no easy journey, so it's kind of like pre-arming yourself for the battle ahead.

For me, the journey at it's best has involved AA. But meetings are the tip of the iceberg really. It has involved addressing lots of fears and unhealthy ways of dealing with my life. Staying calm and deciding that I can't afford resentments, for example, makes me much less likely to want a drink. Making gratitudes part of my day helps me keep a perspective on things.

For other people, their lists are more practical. Avoiding certain people and places. So, maybe if bath time is a trigger, take a shower instead, or change the time of the bath so it feels different for reasons other than the lack of alcohol.

Hope this is a bit helpful. I'll check back on this thread later, but have to go out now. Hope those threads have some ideas in there that are of some use.