View Single Post
Old 05-27-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ArtFriend

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
The reason I'm telling this story? To suggest that when you feel this way about people, seek them out yourself. Far, far better than drowning your needs and feelings in alcohol, as we know. If the convo does not turn out good, cut it politely if possible, and look for someone else. I see this similarly to getting sober in a way: something that requires action on our part, instead of purely thinking and wishing for it to happen. I think that we alcoholics and addicts very often have problems with expressing our desires and needs adequately in the interpersonal worlds, and instead, we turn to our substance of choice...
I get what you are saying Haennie. I used to do the same thing and call people for some "reason" hoping that the conversation would turn to other more personal things. I am better at just calling to call now that I am older. The way I see this situation is that I am the one who is possibly in peril and I would hope that others would see that and respond. The onus should not be on my part to call them. (I am just seeing this on CNN - 18 dead and 13 missing). I know that if the situation were reversed, I would be contacting that lone soul in Texas to see if they are alright and offer support. I have a huge family (6 aunts and uncles, 27 cousins and many more second cousins). But they are all in MN and I am here. Out of sight out of mind evidently.
Thanks for your response Haennie... you always share interesting things.