View Single Post
Old 05-27-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Weasel1966
A simple guy making his way

Staying sober does not mean better health in an of itself. I used to have to take in a big breath to bend over and tie my shoes. I live on the third floor where I would get tired before I got to my door. I was afraid to do any snow shoveling after a binge night. Afraid I would keel over right there on the spot.

For me fitness is a side effect from wanting to try and live again.

I will tell you that climbing out of the pit of depression. Shaking off the morning anxiety routine. Looking coworkers in the eye when I get back to work because I don't have to fear they can see through me and directly at the shame that once sat just behind my eyes. Well... You get the idea...

So I did the eastern prom, back cove and bayside trails since they intersect at one point. One trail ends the other two begin and one is a big circle so I arrive at the starting point to the next. Part city walk, part water walk, part park like setting. Always fun to start when everything is still and quiet only to arrive at my car surrounded by people with a sense of purpose to their walk. Not this guy! I have no particular place to be.

Oh BTW... I am at almost 14,000 steps so far. I don't just want to hit my goal. I want to balance it between purpose and exploration. That brings me to what to do next. I was considering a trip north to Camden for lunch. And a little picture taking. Or down to Ogunquit beach for a little socializing with my flock. They tend to congregate down there.

Looks like the weather made the choice for me. Another stunner beach day. It will be Ogunquit then. Sunny and 80. Cloudy and thundershowers tomorrow. Still good enough to head north then.

Now the last time I was down that way I was not alone. Never been there alone. My sense of direction is sparse and highly inaccurate. This should be fun. If I get lost I can just ask the guy in the Kiss Me Quick hat!

K

Portland is a big art town. There is a spot along the trail that the artist spray paint and its fun to see the new works as I go by over the course of the summer.