SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - View Single Post - 1st Issue of the SR Newsletter Sending This Week!
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2015, 08:36 PM   #29 (permalink)
courage2
p***enger

I won't comment on this new policy outside this thread, but I think it's wrong-headed.

1) It intrudes on a justifiable expectation of privacy. Some members have been using this forum for years. Simply, they didn't sign up for this. No full informed consent.

2) It shows a disrespect for forum members as individuals. If people could choose whether or not to receive the newsletter, those who wanted it, would simply say "yes". Instead, the business behind the forum puts those of us who don't want the literature in the position of either having to do a negative (if minor) thing, or else have something we don't want foisted on us. What's the point? To maximize distribution of promotional materials that will no doubt contain advertising and will also do considerable implicit advertising of the entire "recovery" industry, which is looking more and more disreputable to me -- and I'm not alone in this -- by the minute.

I'm very disappointed in what I'm learning about the business behind this forum, which I've loved, and I'm somewhat saddened by the way it's affecting my communications within the forum community.

Alone together
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to courage2 For This Useful Post:
Carlotta (05-26-2015), chicory (05-27-2015), Dee74 (05-26-2015), DG0409 (05-27-2015), esinger (05-26-2015), honeypig (05-27-2015), Lenina (05-26-2015), Twofish (05-27-2015)