View Single Post
Old 05-26-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  
WhoDey

Well, it looks like our merry band may have served it's purpose as activity has dropped off considerably. As DD said, that's a good thing!

I do want to thank everyone for their assistance in this journey. While I do feel strong, I know I wouldn't be where I am today without the unconditional support of this group. You made me not feel alone in this journey and I can't thank you enough for your companionship.

Interestingly enough, I have a little story from this weekend that brings some things full circle for me.

Over our time to together, I mentioned a number of times that one of my more difficult situations was when a small group of 3 couples gets together. No one ever got out of control, but, at least for the guys, enjoying drinks was always part of the socializing. After becoming sober, I always felt like the third wheel in the guy-group. Neither of the other guys ever said anything to make me feel not included, but, sipping my coke, I just felt like an outsider as they taste tested and discussed various beverages. I was always open with them about why I no longer drank and it was never a big deal.

One of the two gents, at times, seemed to drink just a bit too much. He plays in a band and him and his wife are often out and about town and drinking was always a part.

My wife and I had dinner with this couple Saturday evening. I noticed he was drinking a Diet Coke, but really didn't give it much thought. At the end of dinner, my wife (who had had prior discussions with this guys wife) told me that he had given up drinking. I asked him why and he said almost verbatim what I had told him 19 months ago ... he had gotten to a point where he was drinking every day and often too much. He said he decided it was best if he quit 100% and has been sober for almost a month.

So there you go. It's easy to sometimes feel sorry for ourselves in not being able to enjoy a drink, but not everyone who drinks is enjoying themselves. Of course, we knew that. I'm sure my example helped my friend in some small way to reach the decision to give up drinking and I feel really good about that.

We elect to be sober for ourselves. Not to fit in. Not for anyone else. We're sober because it's the right path for us. All of you by sharing your struggles and victories helped me see that and for that I'm grateful.

You'll always been in my heart.

Carry on.