Old 05-24-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  
bigsombrero

Have fun at the wedding, Della. We all know those can be danger spots but you don't seem worried - good for you! Enjoy.

LB - it's interesting how birds have different morning songs than evening songs, always nice to get some variety! My health has also improved while sober - sounds like you also "bounce back" more quickly after an injury. Good deal.

Quick update on the car. So, I was driving the 2-hour drive home yesterday and a torrential downpour came through. Not unusual here this time of year. However, it washed out a bridge and I had to double-back. Only one road was open to get home - the road through dreaded Guatemala City. Anyway, just as I was clearing that awful place my fan belt broke. I was right by a gas station (good luck!) and taco stand (better luck!). Guy said he'd assist me. He drove me around in his car for about an hour as we stopped at different places looking for the right-sized fan belt. No luck, but I did get a nice tour of the "Red Light District" in a local seedy town. Once, my mechanic stopped to ask someone for directions - he rolled down the window and it was clear the guy was dead drunk. The mechanic laughed and said "well, this drunk fool isn't going to be much help" and we drove off. It was good to be on the right side of the fence in that encounter.

Being sober means being able to handle the unexpected with confidence! Once you get your "sober legs" under you, things get better, folks. Everyone's confidence suffers a pretty hard blow when we first start getting sober. It's only natural - usually a few particularly embarrassing or frightening moments have led us to this point. Our invincibility shields are shattered, and we have to rebuild them from scratch with unfamiliar tools. Stay the course, folks, you'll get there! Onward!

Another pic from my journey yesterday: