View Single Post
Old 05-22-2015, 10:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Berrybean

I've had that as well - thing is, he can only judge me on my outsides. Also, he drinks like I used to, so doesn't (or doesn't want to) see a problem.

Thing is, a lot of us are here because we feel the restlessness, irritability and discontentment without our old friend alcohol and we're trying to work past those feelings without going insane. There is loads of mad stuff going round inside that we need to make sense of and live with. What they see on the outside is, 'Well, she's not drinking, she must be fine. Where's the problem?'

My partner changed his attitude a bit after I had a a bit of a breakdown (PAWs / stuff resurfacing / not working my programme properly - whatever). Since then he has seen the difference AA has made to me, and leaves me to it. He occasionally comments that he still doesn't think I was a 'real' alcoholic, but then maybe our definitions are just different. Plus, he doesn't know all the crazy sh*t that I thought; felt and did, and doesn't want to either.

Anyway - he is now (14 month in) more accepting of it. I have learnt to avoid conversations about it once he's had a drink himself though!!

Good luck.