Thread: Day 3...
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

Congrats on 3 days!!!

Originally Posted by Eliasson View Post
I feel crazy. Like there are two separate me's. The one who wants desperately to live a fulfilling sober life, and the one who is terrified of that and of life without alcohol and tells me I can't do it anyway so I might as well keep numbing myself and coping the only way I've ever known how to cope until I finally just die.
I totally get it. Totally. At one time I literally believed I was going insane. There was no earthly reason why I should want to drink, but all the while I was trying not to drink I was having this voice in my head telling me to drink. Then I would argue with that voice. This made me restless and anxious. I would pace around my house unable to sit still, this silent battle no one else could see or hear raging in my head. Maddening!

It seemed like the only way to shut that battle down and get peace in my head was to give in and drink. But read this carefully...

That's - the - only - way - to - keep - that - battle - going.

Feeding it more alcohol just guarantees you'll be having that battle again in the future. Starving it stops it.

Starving it stops it. It takes a while, longer than we alcoholics like to wait, but starving it stops it.

That voice in my head telling me I should drink again is a liar and a thief. So is yours. Starve it.

You can do this!