View Single Post
Old 05-17-2015, 03:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1needhelp

A Sober Wedding Weekend

I feel that I passed a big test. I went to a friends' wedding and didn't have a drop of alcohol, even though I was surrounded be people who were drinking the whole time. I had multiple urges throughout the weekend. Hell, there was an open bar with good alcohol, but I just drank my club soda or diet soda. My wife was drinking too.

I feel that I have some social anxiety. So being around so many people normally would have been a trigger for me to drink. But I got comfortable with being uncomfortable. Were there moments that I felt out place? Yes. Were there moments were I wish I could be like everyone else and drink? Yes. However, I stuck with the plan. As weekend progressed, saying no got easier. Saying yes to non-alcoholic drinks became my preference. Every morning, I was so thankful that I didn't have a hangover. I even worked out every day, while my wife was helping with the wedding. For the first time, in a long time, I feel proud my accomplishment. I want to give thanx for everyone on SR. I read the forums multiple times throughout the weekend. You helped remind me why choosing sobriety is important to me.