Old 05-16-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Joe Nerv

I don't know why people drink after having years of sobriety. I'm sober almost 31 years though, and I have a pretty good idea why I haven't.

In no particular order:

- I never underestimated the power of alcohol.
- I never considered myself cured from alcoholism.
- I never felt like I knew all there was to know.
- I remain open minded.
- I remain willing.
- I accept that I'm not perfect. That didn't happen overnight.
- I'm always looking to grow and learn new things.
- I've taken tons of suggestions from others, even when I didn't completely agree, or like it.
- I've learned to accept and deal with all my feelings and never medicate them in any way.
- I've learned how to deal with anxiety, and overcome panic. I've learned that through the rooms of AA, lots of therapy, and lots of books.
- I've incorporated the 12 steps in my life since the day I got sober, learning something new about them all the time.
- I changed my diet significantly over time, into one that nurtures and strengthens my mind and body as opposed to beat them down.
- I found exercise I enjoyed and stuck with an exercise program for 30 years.
- I believe that this is a physical, mental, spiritual, and social problem. I addressed all 4 areas, and continue to.
- I reach out and do my best to help other alcoholics.
- I help others as much as I can in other areas of my life.
- I do some volunteer work.
- I continually work at being as honest as I can with myself, and others.
- I pray to the god of my understanding, which I'm beginning to consider my higher self (never mattered to me whether my HP was within me, or outside of me).
- I go to AA meetings. Not as much as I used to, but I keep my connection.
- I never got complacent about alcohol, remembering something my sponsor told me early on. Not drinking was clearly a life and death matter when I first got sober. Feeling better after months or years will not change that, only make me forget it. Drinking alcohol will never NOT be a life and death matter for me.
- I never picked up a drink, no matter how I felt or what was going on.