View Single Post
Old 05-15-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  
nymets86

60, sorry to hear you had a rough week, but great job staying sober!

Torn/Dee, I'm 29, so I feel like I'm a bit of a crossroads with peer pressure from my friends. I have noticed slowly but surely they all seem to drink less and be more in control. Through Feb 18th, I was more and more the drunkest person at a given event. The peer pressure I've faced while out since then has been extremely limited. You are right, my fear of the peer pressure is a lot more than it actually is. While there is still some, it's not like anybody is forcing me to drink, it's more just a playful "common dude, have one!" I think it's well intentioned, but since they don't know I'm trying to quit and I'm using excuses, I'm sort of opening myself up to that. Again, I've never gotten pressured to the point of it being remotely uncomfortable. My hope is to get more and more sober time under my belt, and then I'll feel OK telling my friends I'm now a non-drinker.

As far as this weekend goes, again, there's this fear of the unknown of how my brother's friends will be. I know my brother won't pressure me at all, but I just don't know his friends all that well.

I know that making an arse of myself will feel 10x worse than possibly getting viewed as being a bit lame. I can totally deal with them thinking I'm lame, haha. Sorta like Zach Galifinakis' character in the hangover, I'll be the one person at the party that's there cuz of family ties, not that I'm friends with all of them.

My flight is at 1:30. I'm up early and about to go for a workout. We have a late dinner scheduled tonight at our destination and my plan for tonight is to go the hotel right after dinner, or maybe after one or two club sodas at a bar afterwards. Going to play that by ear.