Thread: SMART vs AA
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
BlueChair

Originally Posted by InMyBlood View Post
SMART vs AA
I'm just curious, and I know it boils down to personal preference: does anyone on here follow the SMART program? I've been doing research on alternatives to AA because I've never been comfortable in meetings sharing my feelings in person and I have a hard time with the "higher power" concept. Does anyone have any input on other programs or on SMART?
Im on the family side but hope its ok if I chime in. I did a lot of family therapy with my husband and we both did individual too. Someone here told me about Smart and Ive found it matches a lot of the things from therapy sessions. The behavioral and CBT approach, no labels, reliance on self, no sponsors or specific time dedication. You can use the tools there and their site or meetings for as long as its helpful. You gain skills to make you independent. I love reading their blogs, and how they can pull in anything and talk about it during a meeting, like philosophers or different authors and make shares, they allow you to talk to one another during meetings but the people who facilitate meetings take special training through smart, and some people are actually professional therapists which is cool. Ive been reading some on AVRT and I like it also (from my perspective). My husband still does therapy a couple times a month but thats all he does now, and its very cool too. Has helped him with his stress from work and delve into some past issues he had never explored, but he doesnt go anymore because of the drug issue. He stopped. Dealt with it. Its Over. I hope you find what works for you!