Old 05-12-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
I agree with you GT. However, in the early days of my life sans alcohol, there were times I needed to take action in order to fulfill my 'big plan'. Whether that meant removing myself from a situation/temptation or whatever, there was still some sort of effort required at times.
Just as having alcohol three inches from my eyes or being able to taste it, there must be some action to prevent/undo that situation. If I start to drink something and realize there is alcohol in it I have a choice to stop and put it down or to continue to drink it. Stopping and putting it down is taking action. We can analyze and break this down to the molecular level if we want. The bottom line is that abstaining from alcohol does require action on our part no matter how insignificant it may seem. I'm sure there are those who do not have the need for action as they are never faced with a situation where a choice must be made.
In the grand scheme of things however, I do agree with you that doing nothing is enough.
Choice about drinking or not rarely needs action. And the sort of life-involvement-action you refer to "setting down a drink" by extending the arm and unclasping the fingers is pretty small compared to the type of life-involvement-action of programs in the Recovery Group Movement.

That reminds me of something I said in answer to a question I gave my science teacher in high school. He was showing how two hanging strings with a weight at the ends a distance apart are parallel, and how that could be useful. And, I asked him, "Well, wouldn't they both meet at the center of the earth meaning they are not parallel? I thought that was a slick question, but he didn't. He was angry and said "Mr. soandso, I want you to write a 100 word paper on Pettifoggery and turn it in to me next class." Wow! I was so shocked, embarassed and furious, that I still remember it today. I did it, but now I wish I hadn't. I was too much of a grade grubber back then.