Old 05-12-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
vera27

Newly Sober, Really want to Prevent Relapse

Hi Everyone,
I have a sort of dilemma that I wanted to post about and ask anyone if they have gone through something similar. I was sober for most of 2014 after learning that I was pregnant. I did not drink my entire pregnancy. Before I became pregnant I was constantly drinking beer every day just to get through the day and also to help me if I got a panic attack. I would need to drink at least 2 beers just to pick up my daughter from school. I am a very shy person and when I am sober, I start sweating, blushing and act generally nervous around people. Anyway, after i had my baby I stayed sober for 12 days. On the 12th day I got really drunk because of a fight with my husband where he took off and left me alone with our newborn. I tried so hard not to drink but I was sleep-deprived and delirious. My current problem is having panic attacks and anxiety while trying to quit. I barely drink, maybe just a beer or two every few days, but I really want to stop. Can anyone give me any tips on how to stop panic attacks quickly. I usually breathe in deeply and it will stop, but I can't stand to feel my heart racing and beating out of my chest. I literally feel like I'm going to die and it scares me. Any helpful advice would be much appreciated. Also, just to clarify: I am not breastfeeding. I would never harm my daughters. I just really can't stand panic attacks and anxiety and it drives me to drink. As of now, I have not had a drink in a week.