View Single Post
Old 05-12-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Berrybean

It's not a stupid question at all. What kind of help are you looking for? Do you mean finding a sponsor so you can start working the 12-step programme (which was massively helpful to me)? Or more general?

I listened to others speaking and watched how they interacted with others. I felt like I wanted someone who would be honest and direct with me, and quite firm and not put up with any of my excuses or nonsense. After a meeting while we were all clearing away I told her that I felt like I was ready to start working the programme and would she consider being my sponsor? I thought she's say that she's think on it and let me know, but it was an instant "Yes. I will be your sponsor." And that was that. I tend to e-mail her rather than phone as I have bad hearing. If I'm struggling with things in my day / week she is fab at e-mailing me back with advice and encouragement. I have also become quite friendly with a girl who has only been coming for about a month. We share a car to get to one of our out-of-town meetings and text during the week. Although she has only recently arrived, she has already been a great source of support to me a few times. Hopefully I can also do the same for her.

Lots of more general help and friendship is found before and after meetings and during tea breaks. Although I'm not on official 'duties' yet, I always try to get there at least 20 mins early so I can help set up the room, and have a coffee and a chat. Afterwards I stay until we've finished tidying up and chat as I help dry cups or whatever. This is when we get to know the quieter people who are reticent about sharing in the actual meeting. It is when the people there get to know and understand you so they are better placed to help you. Just turn up and offer a hand and generally one will be offered back. That's the beauty of the fellowship.