Old 05-12-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
MesaMan

Me Giving Me A Break

This Thread, and the simultaneous, thoughtful one on 'Secularity', got me thinking about what constitutes a reasonable level to set 'The Bar' at re: AV background noise, and Memories.

'I've experienced too much to believe you can make decision and then just shut off your brain about it forever...' ~ JeffreyAK

For quite some time, I've read on other Threads here some interesting Accounts of AV thoughts, and what is deduced from them. What perplexes me is the POV that any AV activity is deemed as imminent failure. The proverbial Close Call that almost dragged the Writer back into Drinking because an AV thought existed at all... Such Incidents are also written about as though they're Thoughts requiring a double-down on whatever Program or Regimen is being used. I find that assumption worth reexamining.

Nothing succeeds like success. My own AV 'Bar' is set at a more modest, forgiving, and achievable level. Once implementing The Big Plan categorically and comprehensively removed Drinking as an option fo evah, the seductive Siren's Song of Drinking again was not viewed as some Close Call I need to flagellate myself over. No need to Electro-Shock that part of my Brain out of existence.-) For me, the trick was to instead set actually ingesting Alcohol as the sole indicator of setback.

By this Standard, I put Alcohol use alongside other Fantasies like wanting to punch out a Boss. Or, finding and keeping a Wallet with a bunch of Cash in it. By positioning Alcohol Thoughts at the same level as these other unacceptable Thoughts - which I don't consider the mere existence of as some Behavioral or Moral failure - it's easy to forgivingly Urge Surf past inevitable Alcohol Thoughts. This also helps relegate to irrelevance all the Alcohol Ads we are bombarded with in this Culture. Looky Ma! Another Ad! Yawn.

Further, I reexamined the role of past Thoughts. Because I drank for 42 years, I sparingly recall Drinking Episodes. How could I not do so? However, I also recall old times at SoCal Beaches. Old times in the Hills, and Orange Groves. I find it inevitable to recall those old times, including subsequent times involving Alcohol. I made the conscious decision to not attach to Alcohol Memories some unique, negative association that would cause me to recoil, and have to 'forgive myself' over. This is a Game Changer POV.

No More Fight = Inevitable Victory.
-