View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 11:15 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Verte
pray for strength

Originally Posted by Stratman1 View Post
Not really man. I think alcohol has been the main motivation behind all and any positive experiences in my life, I'm sure that it has.

And only half the negative ones. You are right in saying it hasn't solved those issues but. Who's throats have I got my hands around!?
Stratman, you are really selling yourself short by attributing all positive experiences in your life to alcohol. This might sound strange, but as an exercise just imagine yourself. In your mind's eye, visualize you. Strip away all the negative experiences from yourself. Then strip away all the positive experiences. Now look at yourself. What do you want? What do you want to bring to yourself, for yourself now. Today?

What I am experiencing right now is a stage of recognizing what balls and chains have been attached to my ankles so I can let it all go. I have been feeling like a vulnerable kid walking around on the streets lately. I have spent so much time in my last year of sobriety recognizing all the wrongs, hates, dislikes, nevers, unfairs and feeling the pain, anger, sadness that I honestly have not been able to provide an answer to the simple question, "What do you want?"

Ok, so you have been manipulated and you feel really angry. What do you want?

"My life is shite". What do you want?

Stratman is a narcissist magnet. What do you want?

And then go for it. How are you going to get what you want and need? Give yourself the chance to define your life. Do not allow all those balls and chains, including alcohol, to define your life any longer. You are free and able to do it at any time. What an amazing opportunity! Start looking for a guide. A life coach. My guide is my trusted therapist. Many others here have their AA sponsor. What do you want? Truly.