Thread: On My Way #2
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Gonnachange

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
Touchy situation I don't envy any of you. Unfortunately I am not sure anyone is doing him any favors. I am not judging because I would do anything to help my family. But I didn't get my act together till I was the only one who could get it together.
Thanks for weighing in Della and your last sentence echoes exactly what all personally concerned parties know. It has to come from him, but nobody, including me, is willing to let him be essentially homeless. Touchy indeed! Years before I found out about SR, we educated ourselves as much as we could, truly did everything we could think of, and leaned on every resource any of us knew or was able to find to help us help him. Since I joined SR I've become more educated than I was previous to joining and I've shared that information with the family, but it all comes back to him wanting something (sobriety) that he's not ready to embrace just yet. As SoberLeigh wrote, he's still digging for the bottom. And while I wrote earlier that everyone's patience is wearing thin, we're going to continue to support him, but I truly don't believe that sobriety is what he's most focused on so, while nothing is inevitable, everyone reading this knows where the journey is leading. Are we doing him any favors in the long term? I honestly don't know, but for better or worse the family is going to continue doing what we are.

Clearly, I'm not writing any of this from a holier than thou perspective because I know I still have an active AV, but I also know that I didn't drink at my party yesterday nor today and while I have the occasional toe stub the arc of my dealing with my relationship with alcohol is an upward and positive one.