View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Creekryder
Cause no harm

Contemplating the Addiction...

In a few days, I will have had 5 months of sobriety. The addiction to alcohol has its quiet days and some that are a little more persuasive. The addictive behavior I possess is still there. I just don't drink alcohol. I have lately become aware of my increased intake of caffeine, mostly from coffee and espresso. At first glance, it seems relatively harmless and much better than alcohol. But in close scrutiny, I see it is another addiction. I now crave the buzz from caffeine. Even though my addiction is no longer fed with liquor, it is being satiated with the caffeine. I am not really worried about drinking too much coffee or related drinks, I am more concerned that it is, on a certain level, keeping the addiction nature alive within me. I recognize this. So my thoughts are do we just leave one addiction and acquire another? Can ice cream, or sweet potatoes, or exercise, or a multitude of other things become a feed for our addiction. Of course many will say a healthy avenue that becomes a replacement for alcohol isn't bad. But is it a slow-drip for the sinister addiction that is not placated with its drug of choice but with a milder, less damaging substance? This may keep it in a quasi-suspended animation while it lies in patient waiting to re-emerge and take its position once again when the opportunity arises. Food for thought?