Thread: On My Way #2
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Gonnachange

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...92885102,d.eXY

This young man and woman were friends of my daughter and SIL; my SIL served two tours of duty with Juan in Iraq. They are, understandably, having a terrible time dealing with this.

I met the young man once when he was stationed at Pendleton and was impressed by him and his love for his country.
What a terrible tragedy.

Follow Up

As a follow up to my last post in my previous thread http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...my-way-25.html I spoke with my wife about my discovery and she was fuming mad. She also said that her mother called to thank us for yesterday and was giving out about my BIL because my MIL felt he was drinking. For it to have been noticeable it would have taken a lot more than five beers so my wife's working theory is that he had a flask with him that he surreptitiously imbibed from during the course of the party. All the alcohol for the party was in plain sight of everyone on the back deck so he didn't have any of that and he doesn't know where the key to our liquor cabinet is so it's not hard to understand how she came to that conclusion.

We did not discuss whether or not to revert to having non alcoholic parties when he's here, but since we have no plans for a family party for at least a month there was no imperative today about that topic. I'm pretty sure she'll be sharing this information with her siblings so a dialogue can be started (again) about what we as a family want to do going forward for any future family gatherings. After all the $$, time, and emotional capital that has been spent trying to help him, even before yesterday people's patience was wearing thin because for years we seem more intent on securing his recovery than he does. It's a text book example of the principle that the desire to change has to come from him and if that's not present than pretty much whatever we do will not lead to the outcome we seek.

As before, thanks for "listening".