View Single Post
Old 05-10-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Aellyce

Hi Sebastian.

Second the opinions on the doctor to get help with bad withdrawal. As for the weird experiences at night, yes it sounds like sleep paralysis. Have you seen this thread here on SR?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...paralysis.html

You can also read an overwhelming amount of into online about it.

I've experienced it since my teens with varying frequency. Intense stress and anxiety can trigger it effectively for me and also alcohol withdrawal. It is quite common in withdrawal from a few different drugs. One thing that happens is that when we drink routinely, alcohol tends to suppress the REM phase of sleep (when most dreaming occurs), and when we quit, it comes back with a vengeance for a few days. This, plus the typically fragmented sleep in the withdrawal state can lead to these weird half asleep-half awake experiences. Well, unless you prefer the explanations with ghosts etc

What I suggest is that you don't fight it. If you are able to realize that it's just dreams and relax, it may get much easier and less scary. You might just drift off and find yourself in a full-blown lucid dream -- some people actually like those (I do!). Sleep paralysis is totally harmless; in fact, we experience it multiple times each normal night, are just typically unaware of it because fully asleep.

I think that if you have not experienced these before / without drinking and withdrawal, it's quite likely it'll go away with a bit of time. If not, I would probably also talk to a doctor about it.