Old 05-10-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
bigsombrero

Cool post newpage - liked the assertion that we should OWN our non-drinking instead of hide our alcoholism. I have been beginning to do that when the situation comes up. Lately though, I haven't been offered much in the way of booze. Sticking to coffee shops on weekday afternoons and outdoor activities on weekend mornings, I simply don't come across those moments very often. I don't expect that will always be the case and I enjoy the reminder that we are the HEALTHY ones. I haven't had a drink in almost 3 years and am almost certainly in better shape than my old pals up in Chicago! Speaking of: Ruby, I know what you mean about those August cicadas. Reminds me of a warm summer afternoon, late in the day in the Midwest. Not unpleasant.

Drove home today from the lake. Jumped on a 7am water taxi and was in the car and moving by 7:15. There was a crazy celebration/procession/parade in a mountain town on the way out, and traffic was diverted to a crazy detour. Dirt roads, etc. It was so nice to be sober, alert, and have absolutely no problem navigating the terrain so early on a Sunday morning. A hungover me would have probably had a panic attack, thrown up, or both. Sober me enjoyed the detour and had a lovely experience seeing some new things.

Got home to a very clean apartment! The women who rented my flat for the week cleaned up and everything was in order. I always enjoy seeing what kind of food they've left in the apartment: this time there was some fine cheeses, avocadoes and tomatoes. They also left a bottle of wine on the counter. I removed it from the house immediately and without regret. On the way to the trash I ran into my next door neighbor and she took it off my hands. Problem solved, and life goes on.

Hope life goes on in a positive fashion for everyone out there this coming week. Some of us are dealing with nagging challenges, others are just getting sober, and still others are exploring all the new possibilities that come with sobriety. Many of us are somewhere in between! Always interesting to see what's going on in all of your worlds, thanks for the laughs and inspiration this weekend everyone. Peace!