Old 05-09-2015, 09:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
MelindaFlowers

I believe 30 percent of the population drinks no alcohol and another 30 percent drinks so little it's negligible, like a drink a week or month. It has helped me greatly to realize how little most people drink.

If 75% of people were heavy drinkers I think stopping would've been harder for me. It was a nice surprise to discover how little my friends actually drink. I fit in better socially as a non-drinker than in active alcoholism.

I went to a wedding sober and was shocked how little people drank. In the past, I was too drunk to notice.

For example, let's say I meet them for happy hour and a movie on a Friday. They have a beer at happy hour and one at the movie. I drink coke. I could go to their apartment afterwards and sit on their couch and chat for five hours and they wouldn't be drinking. The vast majority of people leave it at one or two and don't "after party" it like we did.

I don't know about you, but I can eat a piece of cheesecake and think I have died and gone to heaven with every bite. Literally. If I indulge myself in a second piece it is still good but not nearly as great as the first. If I went for a third, I would feel ill and disgusted with myself. That's how normal people drink.

I guess my point is that it helps me to realize that the vast majority of people lead good lives without much alcohol if any, so I can too.