Thread: Wedding Anxiety
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MattAbroad

Wedding Anxiety

Hi guys,
I marked nine months sober this past Monday and am feeling pretty good about where I'm at in my sobriety and the progress I'm making. However, I have a situation today that is causing me a fair amount of booze-related anxiety. Tonight one of my good friends is getting married and I'm starting to feel a little unsettled about dealing with the amount of drinking that will be going on at the wedding. It's going to be a very young wedding with many friends from high school that I've known for a long time and know me as a hard partier. Even now, before the wedding, me and my friends are hanging out in the grooms hotel room and there's a lot of drinking going on. I guess I just feel like I'm not fully participating in the festivities and that might not drinking is going to be conspicuous. And as silly as it might seem, I'm getting pretty nervous about getting on the dance floor tonight. I can't remember the last time that I danced sober. I actually kind of don't even enjoy it that much but booze helped me get into it. Any words of advice that people who have been through similar situations in early sobriety could give would be deeply deeply appreciated! Thanks everybody and have a great rest of the weekend!