View Single Post
Old 05-09-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
dwtbd
quat

My plan since making it hasn't changed one iota. I will never drink again, and I will not change my mind. It is a very simple two step process # 1 Stop, #2 Don't. It took a second or less to formulate in my mind, and in that sense it was simple ,uncomplicated. The execution is not necessarily easy, but it need not be any more difficult than what I make of it. I had to let go of a lot of preconceived ideas about what addiction meant and come to new perspectives on what addiction was like, for me.
One of the biggest and most helpful perspective changes was looking at a drink in someone's hand and thinking " I choose not to". Of course I can, just pick one up. The difference now being I am fully cognizant of what I would be doing and the eventual hell I would be inviting back into my life by choosing, even one time, to choose pouring a drink down my throat. I consciously choose to not some how forget, or unknow, what I Know to be true about myself and any alcohol consumption. I choose not to drink . It can be very difficult to stay resolved to that decision in early quitting, but with more sober time the pull, urges, thoughts about drinking lessen and it becomes easier to separate the thoughts or feelings or wanting to drink from the actual actions necessary to start drinking again.
"Never agains" didn't help me much until I consciously added " never change my mind" . AVRT helped with a total global change in my thinking and consequent perspective.