View Single Post
Old 05-09-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
MIRecovery
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I will likely get blasted for saying this, but my plan changed 2 years ago. I realized that alcohol is dangerous (something I never realized before). What I realized was that alcohol can and will kill you. My approach going forward was pretty simple and that is I have a drink now and then, but I do not under any circumstances violate the rules I have in place for myself. Its a discipline that many may not have, fortunately I do. I could go on, but I think you get the point.
Moderation is the holy grail of the alcoholic. Millions have tried millions have failed but maybe you will be one in a million. What I came to realize is I didn't want to moderate. What I wanted was to be an alcoholic without the consequences.

To the OP. In the beginning I spent almost every available minute working on my recovery. For the first year I was at AA or IOP almost every day. Reading, praying, learning, talking to other alcoholics was my only priority. I never went to anywhere alcohol was present. Stayed away from places where I used to shop for alcohol.

Today going on six years I lead a normal life. I still put my recovery as my number one priority But do not devote so much time to it. I go to AA 3 times weekly, post on SR, pray, do service work, and help others when I can. I avoid wet places but can deal with them if I have to