View Single Post
Old 05-09-2015, 01:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Hi - congratulations. You have taken 2 huge steps.

1) Recognising that you cannot control your alcohol intake once you've started, and the impact this has on your life.

2) Making the decision to stop the cycle of drinking and chaos, and live the life that you (and your family) deserve.

You have a lot to look forward to. The next few months may not feel like that though, as they are hard work and many of the benefits will take a little while to see in fruition.

This is an amazing source of support and advice. As someone else said, we may not always 'like' the advice we are given. Personally I've found that sometimes the advice that has rankled with me and made me a little cross initially, has turned out to be just what I needed to hear. (Not always though).

Personally, after struggling through the first month alone (well, with SR to help after a week or so), I went along to AA. Initially I just sat and listened, which helped initially, then I needed to actually start doing something more active. It's been since then that I've gone from being sober, to starting to recover and finding peace with my new sober life, and learning to deal with things without my old crutch alcohol to ease the way. AA isn't for everyone, but it's one of the completely free resources available to us all over the world, so it's worth looking at as an option. There are lots of other support groups as well, but they vary geographically so would depend on your location.

Anyway - you've come to the right place, and sound like you're ready to get sober and get honest.

Two books that I found incredibly useful were Monkey on My Shoulder, and Living Sober (both available cheaply from Amazon).

I wish you happiness and success on your journey to sobriety and recovery.