View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Iconoclastic

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
Hi guys,

I've been trying to decide if I should post this for a few days but have finally decided to.

I'm a CONTROL freak! I want everything to turn out the way "I"'want it to and when it doesn't I get pretty pissed and sometimes even drink over it. I'm sure I am not unique to this but I have a week sober again and DO NOT WANT TO DRINK ever again!

I have a really hard time turning things over to God and just not worrying about the results. IT WOULD BE SO FREEING IF I COULD JUST LET GO! :-)

*I say the Serenity Prayer constantly but need more tools. Any tools you can share for letting go of control and outcomes and accepting whatever happens?

P.S. I don't go to AA anymore and am not planning to. It does more harm than good for me. (I know it works for others though and that's great!) But I DO like the Serenity Prayer although that's not exclusive to AA.

Thank you in advance for the advice!
I discovered early on by reading the AA text that AA meetings are not the suggested program of recovery, never have been. The 12 Steps is the suggested program of recovery, of which the tenets are 1000’s of years old. The tenets are self-examination. So it’s not necessary to attend AA meetings to get down to the causes and conditions through self-examination for why I became alcoholic and couldn’t maintain abstinence.

My control issues were making all sorts of excuses why I couldn’t take an honest look at myself and continued to rationalize my life away, until I reached my bottom and surrendered which was a result of experiencing more fear that I could ever imagine.

I use to talk about how sober I was, but I wasn’t sober until after I reached my bottom and surrendered. Abstinence isn’t sobriety; it just scratches the surface of recovery. Recovery goes far beyond abstinence.