Thread: Last beer
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Iconoclastic

Originally Posted by Sobersean818 View Post
About to have my last beer here in a few minutes had only have of my normal shots of vodka this morning I have a few klonopins to help with the withdrawl I wake up every morning at 4am sick and can't go back to sleep till I have my shots but this has gone to far I just recently had 2 and a half years sober and fell on hard times to I went back to the liquer ,I just want this madness to stop I'm sick and tired of this I just I feel good enough to go to my aa meeting tomarrow .thanks for listening
I can relate! At one time I had over 2 years without a drink, and then I fell on hard times and drank. But, I wasn’t sober, I was just abstinent due to the fact that although I thought I’d taken a good look at myself through self-examination, I realized that I didn’t learn enough about the reasons I became alcoholic, one being my lack of coping skills, which began in childhood.

For me it was easy to stop drinking, I’d done it a number of times, it was staying stopped I couldn’t master for a long time. Not drinking is just abstinence, staying stopped through rough times is sobriety.

As David Stewart, MD said from his book, “thirst for freedom“
”Few people realize that sobriety is an action of insights and skills far beyond mere abstinence. Sobriety is a creative discipline in the art of freedom of growth and of love. To be yourself, is to become yourself."