View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Kafkaesque

Originally Posted by immri View Post
Just checking in, hope everyone's doing well I've had an emotional week - graduation, a job opportunity, had a very honest and clear conversation with my ex (and after I have to see him today regarding work we will then have no contact), had a bit of a huge freakout about my future and considered drinking for the third time this week, and now I'm having to dramatically change my diet (I eat quite well I thought but apparently I have some intolerance to a lot of what I consume, so big overhaul!) Im learning a lot about myself lately. I think I'm definitely finding myself more likely to drink/wanting to drink when I get good news rather than bad - with the job opportunity it was too overwhelming and exciting that I thought I should drink to calm myself down. Not even to celebrate, just that too happy or excited freaks me out a bit. Maybe I'm afraid I'll be disappointed so I try to calm myself down before I crash? I'm not sure. All I know is I've been doing that since I was 14 so I'm realising I've never really experienced normal highs and lows I've also been getting better at telling people my honest needs and not putting up with being manipulated and pushed around, which is a big change. I still have a long way to go though. Anyway, I find it really helpful to check in with this stuff here, thanks for being here guys
Immri, that's great you posted on here instead of drinking! I know what you mean about not normally experiencing highs and lows. I was thinking yesterday how a bad day for me is when nothing good happens, but a good day should actually be when nothing bad happens. Alcohol took some our emotions away simultaneously as it intensified others. I think we got so used to the roller coaster, now that we are off of it we are still feeling a bit shaky. But just like how we choose to post on here rather than drink because the resisting alcohol in general is getting easier(not easy but easier lol) I have a feeling (or at least hope) that our emotional responses to life in general will stabilize. Congratulations on graduation and the job offer!!! What an exciting here for you