View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
wpainterw

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
I'd say it's a mix of genes, environment, and simply repeated ingestion of an addictive drug. Some people seem f*cked from day one, others drink for decades before showing a problem. Growing up, my adoptive parents and family drank rarely and never to drunkenness. I was never abused or experienced childhood trauma. But basically as soon as I started drinking in High School I would get wasted on most drinking occasions and feel drawn to drinking every weekend. No idea what my biological parents were like, but considering they gave me up for adoption I wouldn't be surprised if they were a mess.
I agree with this and would like to add that the various components of the 'mix" may vary depending on the individual. Thus the etiology of alcoholism is complex. The "disease" characterization is a misnomer if it implies that the patient has developed or can recover from alcoholism without active choice, remaining entirely passive. Choice and motivation are important components in developing and recovering from this illness. But genetics do play a part, heredity may increase the risk. However, even though a person has an ancestry of severe alcoholism, he or she will never suffer from that if they never drink. No one becomes an alcoholic without drinking.

W.