View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 04:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Thirdwave

The turning point for me was making a final decision to quit. On the relative scale of risk / reward until recently I felt the risk was worth taking in feeling the numbness and escape associated with drinking. But as I measured the cost compared to the rest of my life its soooo not worth it. I too have a great family, good job, and a reputation (for some reason I don’t understand) that is still intact. One stupid action caused by my inability to control alcohol could have brought all of that to a sudden end. I grew tired of hiding my affliction. To awake with a clear conscience and perfect recall of the night before has proven to be a greater incentive than the temporary (detrimental) benefit of having that comfortably numb condition from my drinking lasting for a few brief hours.

As an added benefit cutting out alcohol is the best diet you’ll ever go on. Was able to loose over 50 lbs. by doing that. 1st because of the fewer calories by not drinking and 2nd because of the discipline and self-control over my excessive drinking found its way into discipline in other areas of life in exercise and food consumption. The desire for self-gratification through eating and drinking has replaced itself with the desire to love on my family and enjoy being around them and to enjoy the things in life I never noticed on account of my alcohol dependency.

Best wishes my friend.