View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
mirage

I think there's a genetic component. My parents weren't drinkers, no aunts or uncles had problems that I know of, though my dad's dad was an alcoholic. I have 2 brothers...we all grew up in the 80s, drinking, as teenagers do..binge drinking at parties, concerts, etc. Fast forward 30 years..one of my brothers doesn't drink, maybe socially, but rarely. My other brother and I got whatever that is that makes you want more after you have a couple. So 2 out of 3 of us don't drink normally. We were all raised the same way, in the same era with similar experiences in childhood. It just feels to me like something innate. Something triggers me after I have a few drinks that makes me want more and more. One brother has that too and the other doesn't.

Regarding kids, I have talked to my teenage boys about how they need to be careful cuz that defective off switch runs in our family. I thought they needed to be aware and they know that's why I don't drink. They are not aware I drank heavily, I'll have that conversation when they get older if need be.