View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 05:28 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Jack16

Originally Posted by Thirdwave View Post
I quit because the “friend” I had in alcohol turned into my biggest enemy. Promising to bring me comfort and peace every time it went to it over time turned into a yoke of slavery. It made me feel powerless like I was subject to an unruly dictator. I quit because I couldn’t stand the miserable cycle of self-loathing and violation of conscience that hammered me instantly upon awaking from the prior days/nights abuse. Waking up not remembering the night before became all too scary. I quit because in past periods of sobriety my joy of life and sense of humor returns quickly while I’m abstaining. I can spend a day with the family while sworn off of alcohol not preoccupied with planning an escape route of when and where I’m going to get that 1st, 2nd, 3rd , etc…….drink I quit because although I was very successful (externally) at appearing to be sober and in control when in fact I was blitzed and beyond legally drunk I have grown tired of the charade. A few quick thoughts which could be further developed into a list 10x as long

You nailed it all