View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  
nymets86

Torn, glad to hear the professor came to his/her senses and threw out the assignment.

I have used my good performance negotiate a raise, but it's never as much as I hope for, in part because I don't have much leverage. I really like my boss and I know she goes to her management to fight for a higher raise for all of us, but it's just big company politics. There's no real incentive to give me a huge raise unless I threaten to leave the company. So even though I really like my job, I'm always on the lookout for openings at similar companies simply so I can get an offer and use that to leverage my current employer into a bigger raise.

I had some cravings yesterday. My spring courses are over and while I start summer classes next week, I do now have a week with no homework, and last night was filled with good sporting events and I didn't have to be in to work early. That would have been a prime night in my old days to just get hammered. Instead, I got home and just came on here and read a bunch of threads. I didn't post anything, but read a lot. Thought about how lousy today would be if I had a hangover and dug deep and just rode out the craving. It passed by 7PM and then I settled in and watched everything sober. Happy the Mets got a win, but more upset that the Rangers lost since that was a huge playoff game they needed to win and not a terribly important game for the mets. Anyway, I'm happy with the way that I handled the craving and used that piece of advice from an article Dee posted about not beating myself up simply for having the craving.

While I wish there'd never be another craving, that's just not possible and I can't control having a craving. I can control whether or not I act on the craving and last night I didn't act on it, so I'll mark that down as a win.

I have good sober plans this weekend and next week will be busy starting my summer class. So I'm feeling confident. Next week I do really need to refocus on the upcoming bachelor party for my brother though