View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
MarathonMan

Originally Posted by ChancesAh View Post
If it's not genetic than nurture plays a far greater role than I thought. A person with an alcoholic parent is about 50% to have a problem and even more with 2. Add in other nurture classifications like abuse, lack of support etc and your chances continue to rise.
Ultimately however if you don't own a problem it's going to be far harder if not impossible to address. In that regard I just remind myself that no one ever tied me down and made me drink so this is my problem, my life and I'm the solution.
I definitely own the problem and not even trying to blame anyone else for where I ended up, I picked up and kept picking up and I have know qualms about owning that. Was just wondering if we start at a disadvantage with regards to the odds. People have two alcoholic parents and end up T- totallers and some have sober parents and end up drunks It was more just a point of interest for me wondering what the route cause was and whether we were always likely to end up where we did due to faulty genes.