View Single Post
Old 05-06-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
GracieLou

I am sorry for your loss. I know how is feels to lose a fellow AA member because they have gone back out.

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
I think we also need to be mindful of telling people to "Just call 911." This can lead to a $1,000 ambulance bill and a $10,000 hospital bill, and may have life-changing consequences. Sometimes a quick search can find local, no-cost detox programs.
I would think calling 911 constitutes an emergency and that a life or death situation is at hand. The medical bill would not be a consideration at that time, at least not for me. I don't want to die thinking at least I won't have a doctor bill.

It is sad that people die from alcoholism. I had two people close to me die before I got sober and several that I knew in the rooms of AA , it is always heartbreaking. The last one I knew that died had done so much damage in his short life that he fell over dead in a snow pile at the age of 26, he was four months sober.

I am not sure how long the person you refer to had been drinking or how much they drank. It is hard for a sponsor to know this. I drank a half gallon of whiskey every two days yet had very mild withdrawal compared to some that drank less then me and less often than me.

There is no way to know what their body can handle and that is why medical detox is suggested. Not only can they supply the drugs to make the process easier physically and mentally, there are people on hand in case of an emergency.

I don't see the sponsor to blame here. As cold as it may sound, the only person to blame for this type of death is the alcoholic.

So many think they can go another round and come back. Some sadly never make it back.