Thread: Relapse
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Vimes

Relapse

Hi, first time poster here. I'm not sure what I expect out of posting this. But I have read through some other threads and this seems like a great community.

I've been drinking as an alcoholic for at least 10 years, off and on. My most recent period of abstinence was about 1 year; I took up sports and "religiously" kept to an almost daily routine of working out, anywhere from 30min to 1h, at least 6 days out of 7.

Everything was going great, totally abstinent, and I was feeling better than I had in a long time...

Until, in a social occasion, I had a small amount of alcohol. Well, that triggered a relapse which started the very next day and has now lasted for almost 3 weeks.

Every day I think to myself how much happier I was when I was free of the alcohol, and working out, keeping my body and mind in shape... yet every day I wake up hungover and going for a run or similar is not even an option at that point. I end up going back to the old "tomorrow then" argument, which of course never works.

Any similar experiences? How to break the cycle? (again)