View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Axiom

I was working as a bartender when I was 22. I didn't usually drink before or after work but had about that much while working. Functioning fine, counting money, laughing, chatty, cleaning up and would usually read before bed. I got plenty done on my days off and had a very full life with a lot of drinking and not drinking hobbies. Was I an alcoholic then? I believe I was. Early stage but still an alcoholic.

Fast forward 6 years...

Physically dependent alcoholic, still functional. The last month of my drinking I had become a morning all day buzz drinker. Still bar tending and while I wanted to be doing something else, I had no real drive to do so. I always thought that when I quit bar tending my drinking would work itself out. Turns out I had to quit drinking to move on with my life.

I don't know if you're an alcoholic. You have to decide that for yourself. I can say that working around alcohol gives you a skewed perspective of what is normal drinking... So does being an alcoholic... Continuing to drink everyday will without a doubt make you physically dependent and quitting at that point is incredibly difficult.

I also think you should take a substantial break from drinking while you figure it out. Maybe read some posts on here and see if/what seems relevant to you.