Thread: Day one again
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Iconoclastic

Originally Posted by Cordy13 View Post
Thanks to everyone for your good wishes. I went for a walk and hit the library for some books on recovery. I plan to read here at least once a day and get back into my yoga practice. (I'm a runner so I'll be doing that too but I'm coming back from an injury.)
I use to run long distance (not jog, but run) which helped my depression. Depression was the main reason I drank alcoholically. I became addicted to running extreme distances every day for years, 1/2 marathons at least once a week. What I discovered was I'd used extreme sports from childhood to self-medicate depression.

As a child, I was unaware I was suffering from depression. Then my behavior was called hyperactivity which was the symptom for my depression. I found in part the answer for my behavior and why I felt the way I didn't about myself. In 1971 science discovered beta endorphins which is 80 times stronger than heroin. The human body makes beta endorphins to relieve physical pain. Of course when I was out of physical pain which depression can engender, I felt psychologically better. Well in essence, I used alcohol basically the same way for years, no wonder alcohol felt so great, it relieved my depression.

What I finally did was keep trying to remain abstinent and not label it sobriety, because it wasn't sobriety when I was still struggling with the urge to drink. I also stopped telling myself and everyone else that I would never drink again. What I did was NOT DRINK "ONE DAY AT A TIME"

Eventually after I did self-examination into why I drank alcoholically which was the PROBLEM that began in childhood, I was able to recover from the SYMPTOM(s) which were my addictions and then I finally got sober.

BTW, I'm familiar with yoga, it taught me how to breath which enhanced my running.