View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Serenidad

Originally Posted by Mrrryah1 View Post
I'm quite surprised that my reply to that April fools day thread was of large enough impact to stick with you for this length of time. Am I sending a resentment here? Lol. That's great for you that you worked the steps and it worked for you. And I honestly believe you. But I'm also being fully honest when I say I worked the steps and that alone has not work for me. Yes I worked with a sponsor, who I spoke with every day, I went to a meeting every day, I read the big book, I called people, I did service work, and I still got to a point where I made the decision to drink. Of course I wish I hadn't. Of course I wish that had not been the case, but that was my experience. Please try and keep an open mind that for some people "aa is not the be-all end all" and sometimes outside help/other help is required. I believe that was actually the daily reflection not long ago. Spoken by the program itself.
As I said earlier, I could have written your post myself! I too believe that AA isn't the "end all, be all". It works for some but not for others. Several people recommended I read the book "Many Roads, One Journey-Moving Beyond the 12 Steps" by Charlotte Davis Kasl, Ph.D. and so far it's amazing! It explains why AA doesn't work for many women...especially women with trauma or in their past or shame, anxiety, depression etc.

I highly recommend getting it. Let me know if you do and we can message each other about it. Your story is really similar to mine and it's giving me so much relief because I feel like someone FINALLY understands and has a solution.