View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
FrankLapidas

Originally Posted by QuietToday View Post
I liked writing fiction. I'd two short stories published back in 2012 even, which I guess has been my life's highpoint.
I really loved writing fiction, but I don't know what happened. I used to do it all while drinking, but right in the middle of 2012 I just couldn't do it anymore; stories and characters wouldn't come, and for more than a year now I've not written at all.
I really never understood why it happened. Writing was the only thing I was any good at and had fun with, but one day I just couldn't make it happen anymore.
First of all, congrats on getting published! That ain't easy. And that wasn't your high point - that is yet to come when you get sober and start scribbling again. Why do I know that? Because you said you "had fun with" writing. I've never agreed with the theory that a writer tries to write until there is blood seeping out of his forehead. I think it has to be fun, even though challenging.

When I grew up there was a romantic image of writers, sitting at a desk next to a typewriter and a bottle. Think Hemingway. It was a false image. You can't write while you are drunk.

And if I might be presumptuous, here are a couple of books you might like to read: 'The Red Hot Typewriter", by John D. MacDonald; 'On Writing', by Stephen King (even though I'm not a Stephen King fan).