View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Fly N Buy
Trudgin

Originally Posted by least View Post
I relapsed more times than I'd like to remember, but finally got to the point where I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink. And I've been sober for over five years now. It can be done.
I think we all have to reach that point of wanting = readiness. For sure over the years I swore off booze, no mas - not me! I'm done. This was typically preceded by an "event of embarrassment". But as that memory faded and I was good for a bit I'd go right back to where I was. I simply did not have enough consequences yet to really push me through - over the edge - into sobriety.

I cannot tell anyone how to get to that point. Frankly, some do not survive getting there I am afraid. We are dealing with a potentially deadly situation but play Russian roulette. Believe me, your surrounded by others who did the same thing.

One thing that I will suggest to you is reading the stories of recovery in the Big Book again if you haven't. Consider reading the section that starts with "They stopped in Time."

It is not a requirement to get all the way down the hill before we climb back up - but for some (like me) I really did not get it. I am hopeful my story will be one of "they stopped in time."

Glad were both here, today.............