View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
EndGameNYC
EndGame

It takes time to get used to sober living, to get used to, or even like, the new you.

I knew what I needed to do in order to remain sober following my relapse, even though I initially didn't want to do it, and that was to make wholesale changes in my life, including my thinking and behavior. Nothing short of that would have made a difference, knowing as I did the enormous struggle that comes with achieving sobriety. It is not at all or in any measure a lighthearted enterprise, and I think you know this.

Putting down the drink and using all the help available to me would not have been enough. Many of us hold onto our drinking life with a death grip, even though we've stopped drinking, fearing what sobriety will bring, until we lose everything, until we no longer have a choice in the matter.

Getting sober for me was largely a matter of making and continuing to make a commitment, as well as an act of faith...faith that there was a better way for me. I didn't need to struggle with this every moment of every day, but I did need to make this a priority in my life, lest I continue my life of self-destruction, one that was devoid of purpose or meaning and, mercifully, one that I hoped would end with an alcoholic death.

I agree with others who have commented that if what you've been doing hasn't been working for you, then something different needs to be tried.