Thread: On My Way
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  
Gonnachange

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
I think that's a great idea!
Thanks Della. I'm already signed up for a half marathon in Baltimore this fall with my wife and am now looking around for fall marathons. I was thinking of running a small-ish one that goes from Schenectady to Albany, but it's six days before the Baltimore run and something tells me that that is not a good game plan.

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Whats your plan ?

Also ive just read in the recipe thread that your hosting a dinner party for 25 ppl (with alcohol present ?) like at your other gatherings with you knowing full well your AV is active can you say this is a good idea for anyone struggling to remain abstinent

I dont know what to say GC if this was another thread say entitled 'hosting a dinner party in very early sobriety' and in it it had somerone such as yourself struggling to remain abstinent what do you think this forum would say

i feel like im the only one saying this to you but please believe me when i say im saying this as a friend
SW, I know you're posting as a friend who has my best interests in heart. Never worry about me feeling otherwise.

My plan is to continue to use a combination of SR and AVRT. I truly believe it's been effective and although I haven't been 100% compliant I've come a long way. One drink every week or so is vastly different than more than 15 a day.

As for the upcoming party, it's happening and there will be alcohol available. Some guests will have and others will not. I will be in the latter camp and don't think I'm going to have too much trouble. As you know we host a lot and if you think back to the recent three consecutive weekends when we hosted parties I got through those just fine. Is this the absolute ideal situation? I'm not sure. I know that environments like the one I'll find myself in on Sunday are not my problem; it's the drinking alone that is and I recognize that the two are intertwined and to the extent that I can be comfortable and have no urges when around some others who are drinking can only help me in the long run.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi GC

I just want to back up soberwolf.

No need to beat yourself up - but I think one glass is a big deal because it shows that your AV can still get the upper hand....your disease illness or condition...call it what you will...is still active.

I wonder whether you have this dream deep in your mind somewhere that you can be the 'one glass...or two guy'?

D
Dee, thanks for your always appreciated input. To answer your question, I'm not consciously thinking that I can be the one glass or two guy and even when I had the one Friday night I didn't start the evening with the mindset of "only having one." My AV got the upper hand, but was quickly put back in its place for the balance of the evening.