Old 05-03-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ruby2

Hi mrjustin. I called in on a Sunday afternoon to work in 2012 and told my supervisor that I was an alcoholic and needed time off to go into treatment. I was drunk when I called or I don't know if I would go quite that route. Time off was arranged and I was out for a month.

When I returned, and I did return, I still had my job and was under a microscope. I kept plugging away, grateful I still had a job. It was hard to do that. Really hard. Some days I just felt like crying but I did it anyway. I didn't call in for anything. I didn't need to because I didn't have a hangover to nurse.

I did relapse during that time but still kept plugging away. I didn't call in during that time either. I got sober again and have a good long stretch going now.

In the meantime, things changed at work. Slowly, but they changed. I'm not any longer under the microscope. My supervisor has apparently either doesn't think about it any more or alcoholism doesn't resonate with her because for my birthday this past year she gave me a card with a martini glass on the front. After Christmas she gave everyone a souvenir shot glass from her trip and mine is sitting on my desk holding paper clips.

Stay sober, keep plugging. It was a good while before I didn't feel overly examined. You can do it.