View Single Post
Old 05-03-2015, 04:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Originally Posted by redatlanta View Post
You win some you lose some.
Exactly. I'm lucky that I can at least afford to make my mortgage payments. I didn't overextend myself financially when I bought it, but by the time all is said and done I probably will have paid in the neighborhood of $30k in legal fees, and if I don't get any recovery/settlement I'll probably be out another $50k for the repairs. And even when the repairs are done it will probably sell for half of what I paid for it.

I have friends who have been evicted, who have been foreclosed on, and at least this monstrosity has kept a roof over my head (though that isn't in great shape and I have all these tall trees around my house, so I figure one of these days one of them will come crashing through the roof).

And I did all the right things when I bought it. The home inspector said, "This is JUST the kind of house you want to buy--it's 30 years old and if something were going to go wrong it probably would have." I am convinced that the sellers had no clue about the foundation problem. It appeared to be sound when I bought it.

Most of the time I just accept it as one of those things--life on life's terms. Right now, though, it's reared its ugly head back into my consciousness and I'm feeling bummed. Being tired, of course, doesn't help.

I'm up early because I called the home service I pay a monthly subscription to for plumbing problems. I went through the drill of their reminding me that if it's the washing machine, it isn't covered. I told them I don't know WHERE it's coming from, and with my luck I'd get an appliance repairman out here only to find out it's in the pipes. Hopefully the plumber can fix whatever it is--even if I have to pay for the call--and I can get this all resolved.

Incidentally, I knew water had come through the ceiling into my kitchen, but when I went down to the basement, there was a puddle below the kitchen, too.

Ugh, ugh.